Monday, March 17, 2008

Upbringing Matters

As we approach Good Friday, let us reflect on how we treat our maids. Recently, after completing training in a primary school, I ran into a little nine or ten year old girl. She was talking to her maid in a stern voice saying: “Late.” Obviously her maid must have been late in picking her up from school, but what saddens me was the attitude she had displayed towards an adult. Her rude behaviour was atrocious. If this bad behaviour is left unchecked, it will affect her adversely when she enters adulthood and work life or even thereafter.

Some of our children are so fortunate to have a maid to serve them at home. The maid is at their beck and call. I am not surprised that some parents will not allow their children to lift a finger to chip in in housework since the maid can handle everything. So much so that even when they need a drink of water, their maids are there to serve them. In essence, some of our children become little ‘emperors’ and ‘empresses’ at home. I dread to think of the next generation that will emerge. Will they be compassionate, caring, responsible and considerate? It is the duty and responsibility of every parent to inculcate good attitudes like respect, honour, kindness and the list goes on.

Earlier on, I mentioned that I was disturbed by the little girl’s rudeness to her maid but my next encounter brought a breath of fresh air to the scene. A few weeks ago, I witness a spat between a teenager and her mum on the MRT train. The teenager was upset with her mum because she felt that her mum was not treating the maid. Well. This was met by her mum’s strong disagreement. I do not know enough to comment a lot here but I was touched by the teenager’s care for her maid. She was willing to stand up for what she knew was right to say enough at the expense of her mother’s wrath.

No comments: