Thursday, January 03, 2008

Refiner's Fire

Someone once said that one of the most ‘dangerous prayers’ we can pray is to ask God to purify and refine us in whatever way He chooses. When we are thrown into the blazing fire, we begin to see our frailty and weakness but we also see the mighty power of God at work. We persevere through the trials and tribulations because we know who we serve and belong to. 

The consolation we have is that God does not leave us to burn in the fire. He is with us in the fiery furnace. He was the fourth man in the furnace with Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego when they were thrown into the fire. The Lord is our only source of strength and hope for everyday living.

Picture with me the refiner of gold in full concentration at work. We asked the refiner: “When do you know that the gold is purified and refined?” He replied: “When I can see my reflection in it.” When the Lord purifies us in His fire, all He wants to see is His character in us. He sees us through the circumstances that we go through and He never leaves us in a lurch or ignores us when we cry out to Him from the depths of the valley. Through the storms of life, God proves that He is in the midst of the threatening and horrifying thunderstorms. God is faithful, His divine intervention speaks not just of His greatness but also His undying love and devotion to all who put their trust in Him.

Refiner’s Fire


Purify my heart

Let me be as gold and precious silver
Purify my heart
Let me be as gold pure gold

Refiner’s fire
My heart’s one desire
Is to be holy
Set apart for You Lord

I choose to be holy

Set apart for You my Master
Ready to do Your will

No comments: