Sunday, June 16, 2013

My Late Father

Cancer took away my late father last September. He died at the age of 75. Last August, my family and I were devastated when we knew that his cancer had spread from his liver to many parts of his body. The doctor gave him six to nine months to live but he only lasted for a month. I witnessed the most heart wrenching and painful experience seeing the disease eating away his life as he laid on his bed. Monte and I were thankful that he allowed us to pray with him on several occasions.
A pastor friend got one his Hainanese pastor called Pastor Foo to visit my father. My father was so open to the good news. He was so sick and weak and yet he kept asking Pastor Foo to tell him more. He could have sat up in the living room sofa for about an hour and that was amazing considering his physical state. Pastor Foo asked if he wanted to accept Christ, my father nodded his head. While all this was happening, my aunt and her daughter came by to visit and they proceeded to speak to my mother in the kitchen. My father was hungry for the message and the word and he did not excuse himself to entertain my relatives. The presence of God had held him there that afternoon. I witnessed a miracle that I will never ever forget.
My father was a good man. He was a sailor in his younger days. Later on, he ran an officer's mess at a bank for many years. He sold beverages, sandwiches and meals to the bank staff and officers. He proceeded to drive a taxi when he had to give up the officer's mess business. He drove the taxi for many years thereafter. He was happier because he loved interacting with the passengers.
My father was a great father. He loved my two brothers and I so much. He worked hard, sacrificed and gave the best to us. Though we were not rich, we never had any lack. I can still remember the smell and taste of cranberry juice, banana milk, garlic pills and Dutch chocolate milk when I was young. I even had tuition classes when it was not the norm in the early days. One day, my father asked if I wanted to learn the piano. I regret not taking up his offer then. That was my father, he never stopped giving. That was how he showed he loved my mother, my brothers and me.
My mother is not physically strong and healthy. My father helped with household chores, he did the marketing. He even bought my mother's clothing.
My father left a great legacy. He gave and he led by example. I am a recipient of his sacrificial love. Last month, my younger brother, Edwin, blessed us with a new fan as the old one broke down sometime ago. Not long ago, he also sent the plumber to settle my faulty flushing system in both my bathrooms. In September, my older brother, Nicholas, bought us a TV. The amazing thing is that he did not know that our old TV was on the verge of breaking down. We thank God for loving family members who care and share. I know that my late father had taught us well.
When Monte and I were courting, we had an uphill challenge. My father asked if I could marry a Chinese man instead. God is so good. To cut the long story short, my father gave his blessing for us to marry. He not only accepted Monte as a son-in-law, He loved and cared for him like his own son. He blessed us beyond our imagination.
As I share about my late father, my heart wells up with much appreciation and gratitude because God had blessed me with a wonderful father. He left us a great legacy. A legacy of love and sacrifice.

No comments: