Saturday, May 16, 2009

Simple Living

When Monte (my husband) and I were in Baguio, Philippines in the time from 2000 to 2001, Monte was invited to minister in a church in the mountainous region in Luzon. We had a wonderful time of ministry there.


We were putting up with the pastor and his family. It was very cold up in the mountain, a kind family member of the pastor boiled water for us so we could take our bath. This brought back memories of my own experience. From mid 60’s till the 90’s, my family was residing in Commonwealth Crescent. While growing up, I vividly remember how my mother used to boil water for my father’s bath. A gas water heater came into my home years later. Those were the days of simple living. We certainly had less gadgets and machines but we survived.


In many parts of the world today, water heater is considered a luxury item. Some do not even have access to electricity or telephone lines to begin with. And what about clean drinking water. Most people in developed countries are so used to the convenience and comfort of modern day living. Pampered with modern amenities and facilities, we often take things for granted. Suddenly everything becomes a necessity. Now we need more when the latest model comes into the market.


Someone once said that “Luxury Once Enjoyed Becomes a Necessity”. Our expectations rise with the increase of income. Money is useful if we use it as a servant but if it has a hold on us then we are in danger. The high life that people in affluent societies lived can be glamorous and enticing. But it may breed pride, arrogance and greed. We would be better off to have lesser in life than to have plenty in distress. I want to be sensitive to look at the other end of the spectrum. I have known rich people who are humble and generous. They are actively loving and serving Jesus with all of their hearts. God overcame mammon.

No comments: