Friday, March 23, 2007

31 Days of Praise

The book 31 Days of Praise is written by Ruth Myers. It was published in 1994 by Multnomah Books. Ruth Myers recounted that the story of this book went back to the 1960's when it began as 'Personal Praise Pages' a twenty-day mimeographed reminder of things for which to praise the Lord. 

The book began during her years as a widow. In her words on page 17 of the book, she recounted: "It was born during my years as widow. It flowed out of truths that had long motivated me to trust and worship the Lord in the varied seasons and experiences of my life-as a single girl in my native land...as a young wife sojourning in Taiwan, in the Philippines, and in Hong Kong...during my first husband's months of intense suffering with cancer before the Lord called him home...during my years as a young widow with two young children."

I like to quote a portion of her book found in pages 155 to 156. She entitled this as Acts of Praise.  It reads "Your most basic act of worship...Lord, I'm Yours. Whatever the cost may be, may Your will be done in my life. I realize I'm not here on earth to do my own thing, or to seek my own fulfillment or my own glory. I'm not here to indulge my desires, to increase my possessions. to impress people, to be popular, to prove I'm somebody important, or to promote myself. I'm note here to be relevant or successful by human standards. I'm here to please You. I offer myself to You for you are worth. All that I am or hope to be, I owe to You. I'm Yours by creation, and every day I receive from Your life and breath and all things. And I'm Yours because You bought me, and the prize You paid was the precious blood of Christ. You alone. the Triune God, are worthy to be my Lord and Master. I yield to You, my gracious and glorious heavenly Father, to the Lord Jesus who loved me and gave Himself for me to the Holy Spirit and His gracious influence and empowering."

No comments: