Friday, April 22, 2011

Mistakes are Stepping Stones


I had just completed an Oral Communication programme at a primary school in Tampines on 4 April. Those adorable ten-year-old children whom I had the privilege to share with were fantastic. They were mostly bubbly, fun and full of joy.

Part of the deliverables of the programme required the children to make oral presentations. One of the children, a small built boy kept coming to me to say that he was not able to make the presentation. He was obviously shaking in his knees and he was at the verge of tears. I assured him that I would be by him. I am proud of him for trying.

I often tell the children that the best place to make mistakes is right in the midst of my sessions. We learn from the mistakes and we grow. We take mistakes as stepping stones of growth and development.

One of the reasons children may fear failure could be because when they do make mistakes, people jumped at them. During my training, I try to make children feel at ease, I thank them for trying. I assure them that they will improve with practice. Time and again, I see timid and nerve wrecked children come out from their shells and arise in confidence. I am privilege to witness the milestones they reached.

No comments: