Thursday, February 05, 2009

Not to be Taken for Granted

On 12th December last year, I accompanied my mother for her routine medical check up of her knees. After consultations with the doctor, we proceeded to the pharmacy. While we were there, I pointed to some alphabets on a panel and asked my mother to read them out. She started reading without any problem. I was amazed. My mother had very little education. She had always felt that she was disadvantaged due to the lack of education. In her younger days, very few people can afford to put their children to school. Oftentimes, it is necessary for a teenage or young adult to work to support their poor families.

In Singapore, we are so blessed. Many of us receive education for a good 10 to 15 years. Child from poor families might get scholarships to further their education. Many get bursaries to supplement for their educational needs. The government also tries to help low income families who cannot afford to put their young children through preschool.

We must never take education for granted. Many people in the poorer countries can only dream of what we often take for granted.

No comments: