Saturday, June 21, 2008

Motion Sickness

Going down memory lane is interesting. When I was very young, my mother would bring me to visit my late maternal grandparents at the current Eunos estate. That area was a kampong then. Travelling in a non-aircon bus from Commonwealth area to Eunos took such a long time as the road systems then were not as efficient. I had terrible motion sickness, so my mother had plastic bags all ready just in case I would throw up. Every trip we made to see my grandparents were filled with anxiety. However, what I appreciated most is that my mother did not allow my motion sickness to deter us from making the arduous journey.

Now let me bring you back to the year 2000, as Monte and I were in Asia Pacific Theological Seminary, we took medical missions trips to other parts of Baguio, Philippines. We traveled by jeepney. In a jeepney, the people would sit facing each other and only the driver and the front sitting passenger faced the front directly. Monte made special request for me to take the front seat due to my problem with motion sickness for fear that I might not make the journey. I appreciated his thoughtfulness.

Today, I can read on an mrt and at times on a bus but reading in a moving car is out of the question. I have come a long way, my motion sickness condition has improved remarkably.

No comments: