Saturday, October 20, 2012

Surrender to Love

“Transformation through love is not therefore, as individualistic a manner as we tend to assume.  When love draws me from isolation into community, your life touches mine – your pain touches me, your afflictions touch me, your anxieties touch me.  In short you become a part of me.  My solidarity and with all human beings expands the boundaries of what I experiences myself."

In his autobiography LongWalk to Freedom, Nelson Mandela says that as a young man he came to understand that his freedom was inseparably tied up with that of his South African people.  He found himself unable to enjoy the limited freedom he was allowed as an attorney with the privileges of education when he knew his people were not free.  “Freedom is indivisible” he argues, “the chains on any one of my people were the chains on all of them, the chain on all my people were the chains on me.”

David G. Benner, Surrender To Love

No comments: