Saturday, August 07, 2010

Courage of a Twelve-Year-Old Girl


Last month, I was conducting some comprehension classes to a bunch of wonderful primary six children in a school in Ang Mo Kio. I met a wonderful Indian girl from the class I was teaching. I shall call her Rani. Before each session, I would usually base myself at the school canteen and Rani would always come by and chat with me. Over the years, I learn that kids in lower primary levels are more relatable. Somehow, when they enter the upper primary levels, they grow more inhibited. However, Rani was an exception. She was cheerful, warm and conversational.

Through our little conversation, I learned that her father was chronically ill and he is unemployed. Her mother was the sole breadwinner. She did not come from a well to do family. Huge chunk of the family finance went to her father’s medical expenses.

As I think about Rani, I am amazed by her great courage and tenacity. We are talking about a twelve-year girl and not a grown woman. In many ways, her maturity overshadowed her actual age. She remained strong and focused in the face of tremendous challenges. She continued to perform well in her studies.

No comments: