Thursday, July 23, 2009

Don't Grow Up too Fast


In January – October 2007, I was conducting weekly Speech and Drama training at a primary school in Bishan. One day, upon reaching the classroom, I received news that the class monitor was ‘sacked’. I did not want to dig deeper on the matter. All I saw was the embarrass look on the face of the little eight year old boy. If there was a hole in the ground, I reckon he would have hidden in it. I continued to allow him to assist me in some ways throughout my training there.

I am surprised by the use of terminology which usually surface in the adult working world. These are innocent children whom we want to shield and protect from the harsh realities of the world system. The disadvantage of exposing young children under our charge to overpowering demands and expectations can be detrimental to building confidence and growth. Don’t let them grow up too fast. They can make do with enjoying learning and managing reasonable expectations with the help and support we can provide.

No comments: