Saturday, May 17, 2008

Comfortable And At Ease

Over time, my direct involvement with these precious children has opened the door of friendship with them. The children are comfortable with me.

From January to September last year, I had the privilege to conduct Speech and Drama training at a primary school in Upper Bukit Timah Road. One day after training, as I was on my way out of the school, I ran into an eight year old girl who was one of my students. This year she would have turned nine. I noticed that she had her hair cut short. Previously, she used to have shoulder length hair, which was tied up. She wanted to know if she looked better in her new hairdo.

Currently, I am also on a Speech and Drama training programme in a reputable school along Guillemard Road. A few weeks ago, this ten-year-old boy, asked why my body was tilted sideway while I was walking. He went ahead and showed me what he saw. I explained that I was carrying some heavy things and that had caused me to lean to one side. However, I thanked him and added that I needed to be more aware of it as it would not be good for my posture in the long run.

Through these incidences, I am thankful that the children are comfortable and at ease with me. Whenever, a smile breaks out on a child’s face, it brings much joy and delight to me. I count it a privilege to contribute to their growth in little ways. I firmly believe that a child learns best when he or she is relaxed and happy. Learning can be fun and enjoyable. A non-threatening, caring and loving environment nurtures a child to reach his or her fullest potential.

No comments: